Monday, November 10, 2014

Reflection


Counselors play a key role in students' lives in school by providing resources and guidance during tumultuous times. They help all students in the areas of academic achievement, personal/social development and career development, ensuring today's students become the productive, well-adjusted adults of tomorrow. School counselors are an important part of the educational leadership team and provide valuable assistance to students regardless of whether they work in an elementary, middle school, high school or beyond. 

My thoughts…


What I have noticed so far that is truly inspiring are how school counselors are willing to go the distance. What I have experienced so far are the small gestures that make huge differences in children's lives. If a child needs shoes they find them shoes, if they are hungry the counselor puts them in a food program.  Being a school counselor is so much more than just making sure that the student is in the right class or that they will graduate on time.


My favorite part as a future school counselor is that we get to run groups on issues such as bullying I want to really help reach the students. For example, in elementary schools I may do a fun game, for middle or high school I may incorporate food into my bullying lesson along with a great team building activity. A school counselor is about looking around at the needs of the students at your school and doing whatever it takes to help meet those needs and ultimately putting your student first. 

No comments:

Post a Comment